Challenge B.I.G - Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge B.I.G - Forum

1.000 cycling climbs/ascensions cyclistes

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
KevinSpeed

UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day Empty
PostSubject: UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day   UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 12:02 am

Fact finding of our first two days of UK meeting:
76 Great Dun Fell. From Penrith head south on the A66 signpost Brough. Enter Kirkby Thore village. Just past sign take left turn for Knock, go to end of road, take a left then immediate right for Knock. Take a left after a row of house in Knock, brown sign for Knock Christian Centre. As you turn there is a large car park on the right for approx 20 cars. Park and bike up to the Great Dun Fell globe. At 2km from the top the road was blocked by snow for a short distance so placed BIG sticker on post to right. I’m sure the snow will be cleared in May.
77 Westernhope Moor. Over Hartside Cross and enter Alston – there is a petrol station here on the left – no more for many miles! Take a left in Alston for Nenthead and over pass and down to St John’s Chapel and enter Daddry Shield. Here look out for a row of stone cottages with a white railing in front and take a left here, indicated ‘Brotherlee’. Glass telephone kiosk and toilets on corner. Go along here for ½ kilometre only, DO NOT go straight on but take first right by a bungalow on the right and immediately the narrow road climbs steeply up to Westernhope Moor. BIG sticker on post at left of road at the top.
78 Hartside Cross. From Knock head north along lanes to Melberby. Good pub for meals here on right. Comes to main road, Penrith to Alston. Take a right and go up to Hartside Cross. Highest café in England at the top, a favourite hang out for motor cyclists – and annoyingly on the way up too. Meals in café.
79 Whinlatter. From Keswick take signs for A66 Cockermouth as in April there were road divesions. Dual carriageway some distance, take brown sign to the left indicated Whinlatter and also Braithwaite. Park in front of houses on right in Braithwaite. Cycle and take left fork for Whinlatter NOT Cockermouth to the right. Steep road 4km to large metal silver bird, café and visitor centre at the top on the right. Great views from café.
80 Honister. From Keswick take signs for Borrowdale, following lake. Easy going to Seatoller. Car park here but cycling from Keswick is interesting along lake. From Seatoller suddenly steeply up, less steep on later stage to YHA at top of Honister on left – and BIG sticker on post there on left
81 Hard Knott. Very, very steep. Here is your challenge – can you stay on your bike – I can’t! Reached over the Wrynose Pass and follows a stream for some distance
82 Wrynose. Second pass of the tour, take left fork at traffic lights after leaving Ambleside YHA, left out of gates. Follow head of Lake Windermere for easy ride to Skelwith Bridge then at a left turn a sudden rise at a 25% marker and steep to Wrynose then very steep to the top, especially when stone walls are left behind and in open country. BIG sticker at top on right on wood footpath marker.
83 Kirkstone. From Ambleside, left from YHA for our first climb of the tour, follow signs for Keswick. Go through town and at far end having just passed quaint grey stone National Trust property on bridge reach mini roundabout and take a sharp right indicated Kirkstone and climb starts immediately on narrow road through upper Ambleside, to white Kirstone pub at the top. BIG sticker past the pub on the right.
84 Fleet Moss. Hawes is a distance from Ambleside so may be better to incorporate this climb on the drive south from Ambleside on the 3rd day. Motorists drop cyclists off. In Hawes take turn to right indicated Kettlewell, pass through Gayle village and past Wensleydale Creamery – cheese making factory of Wallace & Grommit fame! (You have to be British to understand!) Climb to Fleet Moss begins among stone cottages. BIG sticker on post to the right at the top.
This coming weekend I’m motoring /cycling from Hawes to Castleton. Cycling from Hawes to top of Fleet Moss then driving to Ilkley for Cow&Calf and Oxenhope Moor, staying in Edale near Castleton as Castleton YHA is full. On Sunday I will cycle Holme Moss, Snake Pass and Mam Tor circuit. I will do some fact finding at Castleton YHA If anyone has any questions please mail me by Friday 23rd April.
Back to top Go down
Jacquemin Dominique

Jacquemin Dominique

PostSubject: Re: UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day   UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Bonjour Kevin

Concernant le BIG76 "Great Dun Fell" nous l'avons escaladé ce jeudi 15 avril.
Il y a de la neige sur les côtés , mais la route est dégagée.
J'ai mis les photos sur le site.

L'ascension par un vent de face puissant fut très dure.

Le BIG 82 "Wrynose pass" est extrêment pentue.
Après une courte descente il faut s'attaquer un BIG 81 "Hard Knott Pass" qui est aussi très dur.
Pour le retour, le second versant du BIG 82 est beaucoup plus court et moins dur .

Amitiés

Dominique Jacquemin
Back to top Go down
KevinSpeed

PostSubject: UK meeting 2010   UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Dominique
I'm so glad Great Dun Fell is clear of snow now - only a few days after i was there. I agree with you on the climb of the Wrynose - shorter climb on the western side
regards
Kevin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day   UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UK meeting 2010. Fact finding. Reconnaissance of first 2 day
Page 1 of 1