Challenge B.I.G - Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge B.I.G - Forum

1.000 cycling climbs/ascensions cyclistes

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Claim lower "second name" of a BIG

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joostov

Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Empty
PostSubject: Claim lower "second name" of a BIG   Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Are there any rules about the claim of lower versions of a summit on the BIG-list?

A lot of summits in the list have "second/alternative" name with a +(higher) or -(lower) behind it.
If you only went to the lower(-) part of the summit, can you still claim it?

For example: If you didn't go to the Cime de la Bonette, but only went to the Col the la Bonette(-), can you still claim it? It's only 85m lower and 0,9km less far.

But for other summits have more difference:
Col de Turini is 383m lower for 4km then the official summit of Authion
Grimselpass is 207m lower for 5,8km then the official summit of Oberaarsee
Etc.

And is there a difference if you didn’t go higher because you were to lazy or in a hurry, or in a cyclo or race that didn’t go to the summit?
And what if the road to the official summit is not open yet because of snow, but the lower version is? For example the Oberaarsee is only open for about 3 months a year, while the Grimselpass is often open more then 6 months a year?
Back to top Go down
Etienne Mayeur

Etienne Mayeur

PostSubject: Re: Claim lower "second name" of a BIG   Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 10:25 am

I think that second name is only used to help you to find easily the big on a map.
Turini and Authion for example are not the same thing !
( - ) second name is lower than the big summit.
( + ) second name is higher than the big summit.

Back to top Go down
http://users.skynet.be/bicycledream
daniel gobert
Admin
daniel gobert

PostSubject: Re: Claim lower "second name" of a BIG   Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Just like very well explained by Etienne, it's only an help to find on the field or on the maps, but the real top is the good one given in the website with the given height too!
At your service for any other requested explanation
Dan.
Back to top Go down
https://big-forum.forumotion.com
joostov

PostSubject: Re: Claim lower "second name" of a BIG   Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
I think the name “second name” is a bit misleading for that matter.

And what if you only went to the higher(+) second name?

For example, when you went to the “second name” Edelweissspitze(+) from the north, you didn’t pass Hochtor, but did most of the same road and ended up higher then the Hochtor. (and more beautiful then the tunnel at Hochtor I would say)
Can you claim it?

Looking at the pictures, lot of members went to the Edelweissspitze (maybe they also went to the Hochtortunnel), should be a pity if they couldn’t claim it…http://challenge-big.eu/nl/big/photos/625

Maybe "second name" could be changed for "en route", "on your way", "nearby" or something less confusing.

Greetings,
Joost
Back to top Go down
Etienne Mayeur

Etienne Mayeur

PostSubject: Re: Claim lower "second name" of a BIG   Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 3:38 pm

You have right
I told to Daniel that second names is dangerous because some cyclists didn't reach the same top.

"Nearby" seems to be the best choice.
Back to top Go down
http://users.skynet.be/bicycledream
daniel gobert
Admin
daniel gobert

PostSubject: Re: Claim lower "second name" of a BIG   Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Not always "nearby". For the + and the - : yes !
But some other ones are real second names like
Passo dello Rombo & Timmelsjoch (different languages)
Keutenberg and Dode Man (2 different sides)

To dispatch those informations into several topics would be loud, I think !

Perhaps "2nd name or top nearby"
Back to top Go down
https://big-forum.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Claim lower "second name" of a BIG   Claim lower "second name" of a BIG Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Claim lower "second name" of a BIG
Page 1 of 1