Challenge B.I.G - Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge B.I.G - Forum

1.000 cycling climbs/ascensions cyclistes

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

787 Monte Carpegna

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoranS

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:35 am

Is the route indicated on the map for the climb to Monte Carpegna really the intended one? I was in the region five years ago with a group and they went up the climb on a route that first goes north from Carpegna and then northwest up to the top. From what I understand, that ascent is tougher than the one indicated in the map. I did not have a proper gearing given that I was pretty new to cycling back then, so I chose to go up to around 1200 m.a.s. along the route indicate on the map instead of following the rest of the group. The climb I did was not particularily hard, but did offer some nice views.

So, is there a mistake in the way the route is shown in the map or is the route shown the intended one? In case it is the intended one, is there any particular reason why the other ascent has been excluded?
Back to top Go down
eyeless

eyeless

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: Re: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:45 am

GoranS wrote:
Is the route indicated on the map for the climb to Monte Carpegna really the intended one? I was in the region five years ago with a group and they went up the climb on a route that first goes north from Carpegna and then northwest up to the top. From what I understand, that ascent is tougher than the one indicated in the map. I did not have a proper gearing given that I was pretty new to cycling back then, so I chose to go up to around 1200 m.a.s. along the route indicate on the map instead of following the rest of the group. The climb I did was not particularily hard, but did offer some nice views.

So, is there a mistake in the way the route is shown in the map or is the route shown the intended one? In case it is the intended one, is there any particular reason why the other ascent has been excluded?

Yes, the one shown at the BIG site is a variant of the easier climb up via Passo Cantoniera (that road was blocked when I was visiting so could not descend it as I had hoped last Spring, but maybe it was cleared up later in the season). It takes time and effort to get all climbs updated fully ... .
Back to top Go down
http://cycloclimbing.com
GoranS

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: Re: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Oh, I hope my question did not come through as critisism. That was never my intention. I totally understand that it is a huge task to get all details right about every climb on the list. I was just interested in whether the tougher ascent is acceptable as an alternative or whether the one route starting off in the direction towards Passo Cantoneira is the only road that gives you the right to claim this BIG.
Back to top Go down
eyeless

eyeless

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: Re: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:32 pm

GoranS wrote:
Oh, I hope my question did not come through as critisism. That was never my intention. I totally understand that it is a huge task to get all details right about every climb on the list. I was just interested in whether the tougher ascent is acceptable as an alternative or whether the one route starting off in the direction towards Passo Cantoneira is the only road that gives you the right to claim this BIG.

Cannot speak for BIG on these matters, but I am pretty sure that even if you hiked up the mountain on a trail, you would still be able to claim the BIG as long as you brought your bicycle with you, so it should be okay to claim from the "normal" side too, yes Very Happy .

(I was not really thinking you were complaining and I was only clarifying ... .)

All the best,
Jerry
Back to top Go down
http://cycloclimbing.com
daniel gobert
Admin
daniel gobert

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: Re: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Everything is alright ! You can claim under those conditions ! No problems at all ! Just take the pleasure one way with the scenery, Smile and the other way with the battle against his own body bounce
Back to top Go down
https://big-forum.forumotion.com
GoranS

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: Re: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Now, all I have to do is get up to the top of that climb. Very Happy Unfortunately, it will have to wait until next year. Sad
Back to top Go down
Henry

Henry

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: Re: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 pm

the road shown on the map by Passo Cantoniera is prohibited in that sense. the only access permitted is the other way (which starts Carpegna and passes the Pantani memorial). This side is the real BIG, one where Pantani was training!

Regards
Back to top Go down
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=JF3LAHDM/
Sponsored content

787 Monte Carpegna Empty
PostSubject: Re: 787 Monte Carpegna   787 Monte Carpegna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

787 Monte Carpegna
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Challenge B.I.G - Forum :: zones BIG :: zone 09-
Jump to: