Challenge B.I.G - Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge B.I.G - Forum

1.000 cycling climbs/ascensions cyclistes

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walking?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoranS

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Do you have to ride the entire climb to claim a BIG or is it acceptable to walk some parts?

The background to my question is that I visited Bispbergs klack (nr 38) a couple of weeks with my road bike and I had to walk a couple of sections of the last part of the climb because it is a foot path with large stones and at one place even a tree lying over the path. So, can I claim that BIG or do I have to get back with an MTB and try it (not sure I would make it anyway since I am not a MTB guy).
Back to top Go down
Jean Gangolf

Jean Gangolf

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 3:05 pm

GoranS wrote:
...do I have to get back
Of course!!!! And it is accepted only if you can prove that you even didn't step off you're bike to pass the tree!!!!! geek

Sorry, it was coming over me... But I don't have a real satisfying answer... Crying or Very sad

Don't know what the committee will say, but if I have to look back to my BIG's made, there's probably one or more in the list, where I had to step off my bike, for making a pause, or taking a walk of a few meters... Am I a cheater?? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.gangolf.eu
daniel gobert
Admin
daniel gobert

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:56 pm

No problem at all if you walk only in some sections with obvious difficulties like a tree to climb and to go down :-)

I think that for the Bispbergs Klack, a road behind the mount reached an upper altitude than the main road that normally stops at the beginning of the stones (gravelled road). See the topographic map.

If you think that this climb is not worthy, please, tell us, we'll choose another one. In Sweden, it's not easy to find a good mount surfaced all along but perhaps is there a wall somewhere that we ignore. Currently, it's the Bispbergs Klack, but I think that it's not the best one.

Regards, Dan.
Back to top Go down
https://big-forum.forumotion.com
GoranS

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:14 am

Ah, looking at the topographic map, I see that I have made a mistake. It is actually not the "klack" that is the BIG but the end of the gravel track (which ends up at a mast slightly above where the path turns off). So my question is then somewhat obsolete.

However, I do think that despite the lack of good climbs in Sweden, there are better candidates than Bispbergs klack since it then apparently ends in the middle of the forrest with no nice view at the top or along the way up.

A couple of suggestions would be:

Klevaliden: One of the more well-known climbs among Swedish cyclists. It was often included in a stage race called Postgirot which was run 1982-2000 in Sweden with winners including Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle, Erik Dekker and Gerrie Knetemann. The climb is located in Huskvarna, on the east side of the southernmost tip of Vättern, the second largest lake in Sweden. More information can be found at http://www.ikhp.se/cykel/norraklevaliden.aspx and there is a slideshow on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvVafcoUgD4

Vidablick: just south of Rättvik. It is located about 60km to the north-northwest of Bispbergs klack and features a really nice view from the top (see http://www.reseguiden.se/forum/bilder/13582). If you start down by the lake, which if my memory serves me correctly is located at about 160 m.a.s., it should give more meters of climbing than Bispbergs klack since the top is located well above 300 m.a.s.

As a sidenote, there is in fact a quite tough climb in Sweden called Äspötunneln which climbs 460 meters in 3,6 km. Unfortunately, it is in a tunnel which is not open to the public (it is located close to a nuclear power plant).
Back to top Go down
daniel gobert
Admin
daniel gobert

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Ah, ah, jag är mycket nöjd att lära det här informasjon, Göran.
Tack så mycket !
Well, well, you're very interesting for our challenge.
I'll suggest to move the Bispergs Klack out because of the unrideability of the top and to include your "mediatic" climb because Sweden hasn't yet any mediatic climb in our list.
Have you an opinion about the rest of the swedish list ?
Perhaps, we can open a topic on it in the zone1 forum : it would be great. Mainly, the norwegian climbs are the best ones but for Sweden, I've only the feedback of our leader Eric Lucas in his website like : http://membres.multimania.fr/sommets/Scandinavia/038.pdf and the other numbers in the same way (french and english translations available).
Don't you think that Hunneberg is also a climb without rideability and interest ?
Back to top Go down
https://big-forum.forumotion.com
GoranS

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 2:09 pm

I am afraid I cannot be of much help regarding the other Swedish climbs. Living in Stockholm and not having a driver's license means that it takes quite some effort to reach most of them. I have thought about making a multi-day trip trying to climb some of them, but it would be hard to manage more than one BIG per day on average and since the climbs do not seem that exciting, I have chosen to spend my cycling vacations in places where there are many and interesting climbs.
Back to top Go down
FATeam

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:42 am

I think that for the Bispbergs Klack, a road behind the mount reached an upper altitude than the main road that normally stops at the beginning of the stones (gravelled road). See the topographic map.

If you think that this climb is not worthy, please, tell us, we'll choose another one. In Sweden, it's not easy to find a good mount surfaced all along but perhaps is there a wall somewhere that we ignore. Currently, it's the Bispbergs Klack, but I think that it's not the best one.
Sponsored content

Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking?   Walking? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walking?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Challenge B.I.G - Forum :: Other topics / Divers :: B.I.G-challenge-
Jump to: